Cooper's Marine has been in business since 1946 when John Cooper opened a one room shop at the south end of the 9th Street Bridge in Richmond, Virginia. In 1948 Melvin Cooper joined forces with his brother and created a partnership.
When the bridge closed, the company moved to 1845 W. Broad Street. In 1959 the company moved to 2310 W. Cary Street. Jerry Cooper, son of Melvin, started working in the family business in 1981 and in 1985 Jerry and his wife Anne purchased the business.
In 2007 Cooper's moved to the present location at 11476 Fox Cross Rd., Ashland. Cooper's has been a Mercury outboard dealer since the company's inception. Sales include small boats, motors, and trailers. Most boat sales are in the 10 to 25 feet range. The service staff is fully certified in Yamaha and Mercury engines. Cooper's enjoys an excellent service reputation with the public.